Helvetas is an independent organization for development based in Switzerland with affiliated organizations in Germany and the United States.
Helvetas supports poor and disadvantaged women, men and communities in about thirty developing and transition countries in Africa, Asia, Latin America and Eastern Europe.
Together with our partners Helvetas tackles the global challenges at various levels: with projects on the ground, with expert advice and by advocating for conducive framework conditions benefiting the poor. This triple commitment is empowering people and transforming lives. Helvetas follows a multi-stakeholder approach by linking civil society actors, governments and private sector.
Helvetas is active in five working areas: water and infrastructure, skills development and education, sustainable and inclusive economies, governance and peace and environment and climate change. Helvetas engages in emergency relief, reconstruction and rehabilitation. In addition to rural areas, Helvetas is increasingly involved in urban development and is focusing its work on young women and men.
Our vision is of a just world in which all men and women determine the course of their lives in dignity and security, using environmental resources in a sustainable manner.
- We support poor and disadvantaged women, men and communities in developing and transition countries in their efforts to improve their living conditions.
- Through development cooperation, we support women and men in improving their livelihoods themselves in a sustainable manner.
- We promote equitable access to the resources and services necessary for life and thus contribute to overcoming the root causes of poverty.
- We uphold the protection and promotion of social, economic, political, environmental and cultural rights and responsibilities, and seek to ensure their practical implementation.
- We support our partners in engaging in development policy issues.
- We accompany and support our partners on a long-term basis.
- Our engagement is based on solidarity and partnership.
- We work towards achieving human rights and upholding the principle of self-determined development.
- We are committed to social equity and strive for equal opportunities for men and women regardless of age, origin, language, religion, culture or political convictions.
- Our collaboration with our partners is based on mutual respect for cultural values and principles.
- We stand for development that balances economic viability, environmental appropriateness and social benefits.